Childhood Poverty and Hunger
Prevalence of Poverty and Hunger Among Children
Effects of Poverty and Hunger
- Brain Development
- Association of child poverty, brain development, and academic achievement. Hair, N. L., Hanson, J. L., Wolfe, B. L., & Pollak, S. D. (2015). Association of child poverty, brain development, and academic achievement. JAMA Pediatrics, 169(9), 822-829. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2015.1475
Strategies for Helping Children in Poverty and Hunger
- Growth mindset
- Growth mindset tempers the effects of poverty on academic achievement. Claro, S., Paunesku, D., & Dweck, C. S. (2016). Growth mindset tempers the effects of poverty on academic achievement. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 113(31), 8664-8668. doi:10.1073/pnas.1608207113
- USDA Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) Programs and Services page. This page contains useful information related to programs and services offered by Food and Nutrition Services.
Related Events Near Marquette
- 2018 Sep 18 K.I. Sawyer Community Center to close in 12 days (WLUC) 20 Kids per night will need to find a new place to go.
- 2016 Aug 9 Gwinn offers free meals for students (Mining Journal)