General Career Exploration
- Northern Michigan University Career Exploration Resources - Information and opportunities for finding out about careers. Click on the "Browse resources" link for databases with job titles, required skills and education, pay, job growth predictions, etc.
- PayScale - Find average pay, skills, and satisfaction associated with various jobs. Even estimates what you're worth
Job and internship possibilities associated with Northern Michigan University
- NMU Career Services Includes a link to the Cat Career Tracks "all-in-one web system... where you can search and apply for job opportunities 24/7. You can also host and manage resumes, cover letters and more. For employers, it's possible to post and manage multiple job openings."
Media Production Careers
- Film and Video Editors
- O*Net Online job description - Lists software and skills. Says this occupation has a bright outlook (as of 2016).
- Occupational Outlook Handbook for Film and Video Editors and Camera Operators
Careers that Combine Communication and Technology
Job and Internship Searching
Commercial Job Listing Sites
- College Grad job hunting site
- Glassdoor. Includes information about typical salaries for jobs.
- LinkedIn Social media site for careers, professional networking, job searching
- Michigan Association of Broadcasters Job Bank
- Production Hub Film & Video Production Jobs
- Northern Michigan University Career Resources. Links to job listings provided for students in various academic programs. Links for looking up summer jobs and government jobs. Link for assistance with applying for federal government jobs.
Strategies for Getting a Job
Don't thoughtlessly follow all of the ideas presented here. Some may not work for some circumstances. If there are reader comments after the article, scanning them may make you think twice about some tips. Even if these resources aren't always applicable, they still give you some ideas to think about.
Resume and Cover Letter Help
Thoughts about Interviewing
- How a Stupid Joke Can Earn You More Money During Salary Negotiations (Lifehacker.com, Nov. 30, 2016). Know your audience - this could also eliminate you from being considered. The concept of anchoring is important, though.
- Simple Tips to Nail Job Interviews, Even if You're Shy or Introverted. (Lifehacker, February 12, 2017). I identify with a lot of this. I like that it shows the strengths of being introverted. I also know that I am able to push through being introverted and open up when I need to. Also, be hesitant about bringing a physical portfolio of your accomplishments unless asked to do so or you're really sure it would be appropriate.